Think Like a General to Solve Animal Homelessness
Cages upon cages of beautiful, healthy animals are sitting on death row all over Maryland right now. It’s not a pretty sight. If there were ever a time when the animals are crying out to us for help, it is now. With the loss of jobs, homes and income that millions of people are experiencing throughout the country, the animals are too often the ones taking the biggest hit---including the loss of their very lives. If there were ever a moment when we need to expand our hearts and use our political power to help Maryland’s animals, the moment is now and it couldn’t be more urgent.
Euthanasia and gas chambers have always been and always will be a pathetic non‐answer for the needs of animals. Maryland can do better even during the roughest of times. So let’s join together as members of MVFA---the first and only voting bloc for animals in Maryland---to insist that that our lawmakers take notice of the suffering of animals and pass laws to solve this problem instead of just succumbing to the mindless killing of innocent, adoptable pets.
There is a Solution…
For far too long, “animal people” have been trying to solve the huge problem of animal homelessness using rescue only. But isn’t that’s like trying to win a war using only the Red Cross? Instead, MVFA is dedicated to thinking like a general whose job it is to win the war of animal homelessness. This means that MVFA will think long-term, strategically and politically. Here are a few examples:
- MVFA will organize the huge number of Marylanders who already care deeply about animals into a powerful voting bloc. This is how we get political power for animals.
- MVFA will monitor the General Assembly and let you know when critical animal protection bills are coming up for a vote in the house or senate. Then you can contact your legislator and tell her that you’d like her support on the bill.
- MVFA will let you know which legislators support animal protection bills and which legislators do not. Then we’ll put out a legislative scorecard so you can refer to it before you vote.
- MVFA will work to elect officials who care about animals as much as we do! Moreover, we’ll work to defeat those officials who consistently show indifference to the suffering of animals.
- MVFA will use media and get-out-the-vote campaigns to let the public know which candidates they should vote for.
To summarize, MVFA will use our collective political power to insist that our lawmakers put programs and laws in place that will make the heroic job of rescue much easier. Then and only then will all our precious cats and dogs have the happy lives they deserve.
Don’t Buy While They Die
A quick reminder that adoption is the only conscientious way to bring a new animal into your home. Until every adoptable cat and dog (or guinea pig or pet rat or horse!) has a good home, no one should ever buy an animal. Adopting an animal helps solve the problem, buying an animal makes you part of the problem.
Do This Now!
Join MVFA if you have not done so already! The animals need a powerful political voice made up of tens of thousands of Maryland voters---a humane voting bloc. This is the only way to get our lawmakers to listen. Period. Only your voice (call your legislators and let them know that this is important to you) your vote (read our humane scorecard before the November 2010 election and vote for MVFA’s endorsed candidates) and your money (make a donation to MVFA to help us elect humane candidates in 2010) will end the suffering of these animals. With your help, Maryland Votes For Animals is dedicated to electing compassionate, caring legislators who will help these animals. The animals have no voice without us! Join now!